1) The contest is open to students who are in grades 8–11 during the 2016–17 school year.
2) Students must submit writing samples in at least two of the following genres: literary fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, YA fiction, poetry, spoken word, personal essay/memoir, screenwriting, playwriting, and hybrid genre.
Poetry: 3-5 poems.
Fiction, Personal essay/memoir, screenwriting, playwriting and hybrid genre: Submissions should total fewer than 5,000 words.
3) For each genre you submit, please save the work in a PDF file with the name of that genre. For example, if you are submitting poetry and personal essay, you should create separate PDFs titled “poetry” and "personal essay." To preserve the anonymity of entries, please do not include your name within the document or the file name.
4) Complete the entry form and submit your pieces online by Dec. 15, 2016.
5) Submissions will be accepted until Dec. 15, 2016, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
6) Twenty-five contest finalists will be selected and notified no later than Jan. 15, 2017. Should you be selected as a finalist, you will be required to fill out a formal application to Interlochen Arts Academy no later than Feb. 15, 2017. Begin the application for admission.
7) The first prize scholarship will cover a substantial portion of the tuition to attend Interlochen Arts Academy but not the entire amount. The winner and recipient of the scholarship will be considered for additional need-based financial aid, but they must formally apply for financial aid using the online form.
8) Winner will be announced no later than Apr. 1, 2017.
9) If submissions do not meet the standards set by the judges, Interlochen Center for the Arts reserves the right to designate no first prize winner and award no scholarship.
10) Students currently enrolled at Interlochen Arts Academy are ineligible for this contest.