1) The contest is open to students who are in grades 8–11 during the 2019-20 school year.
2) Students must submit writing samples in at least two of the following genres: fiction, poetry, personal essay/memoir, screenwriting, playwriting, and hybrid genre. You should submit no more than 5 pieces total.
- Poetry: Your sample should include 1-4 poems.
- Fiction: Your sample should include 1-3 stories, novel or story excerpts, or flash fiction pieces. Each piece should be fewer than 3,500 words.
- Personal essay/memoir: Your sample should include 1-3 essays. Each piece should be fewer than 3,500 words.
- Screenwriting: Your sample should be fewer than 20 pages.
- Playwriting: Your sample should be fewer than 20 pages.
- Hybrid genre: Your sample should include 1-3 hybrid genre pieces. Each piece should be fewer than 3,500 words.
3) For each genre you submit, please save the work in a PDF or .docx file with the name of that genre. For example, if you are submitting poetry and personal essay, you should create separate PDF or .docx files titled "poetry" and "personal essay." To preserve the anonymity of entries, please do not include your name within the document or the file name.
4) Complete the entry form and submit your pieces online by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Friday, Dec. 6, 2019
5) Twenty-five contest finalists will be selected and notified no later than Dec. 20, 2019. Should you be selected as a finalist, you will be required to fill out a formal application to Interlochen Arts Academy no later than Jan. 15, 2020.
6) The first-prize scholarship will cover full tuition to attend Interlochen Arts Academy.
7) Winner will be announced no later than April 1, 2020.
8) If submissions do not meet the standards set by the judges, Interlochen Center for the Arts reserves the right to designate no first prize winner and award no scholarship.
9) Students currently enrolled at Interlochen Arts Academy are ineligible for this contest.